Time management is something many people struggle with. There just never seems to be enough time in the day to get everything done. In today’s article, I will be sharing some excellent time management tips that will improve your efficiency and productivity. I have learned these lessons the hard way and hope that they will benefit you.
1. Don’t read your emails first thing. Unless you are waiting for an urgent email that really is very urgent, avoid reading emails first thing in the morning. This tends to put us into a passive or reactive mood and not the active one we need to be productive and create. Leave the emails for before lunch or late afternoon when your energy is low.
2. Meetings kill productivity. If you can avoid attending meetings, do so. Catch up what was said from a friend. Meetings are one of the biggest productivity killers in the workplace and this is especially true for creative jobs.
3. Get rid of any distractions. The online and technology world has created so many distractions for us. Constant notifications about Facebook, messages, games, etc. are all distractions that you need to eliminate. The best way to be productive is to create a workspace where you won’t be distracted by notifications, unnecessary phone calls, or people that just pop in.
4. Plan the night before. Planning is the key to productivity and efficiency. Write down two or three tasks that you need to accomplish the next day to feel that you were productive. Don’t create long lists because you are setting yourself up for failure.
5. Complete the most important task first. You have your list of tasks that need to be completed, now identify the most important one. That will be what your day starts with. Once that task is completed you feel productive and everything else will just flow.
6. Automate as much as possible. As a programmer, you have the skills and know-how to automate almost anything. Do this for your own tasks and create systems that complete tasks at the click of a button.
Take short breaks every now and then to stimulate blood flow and just give your brain and eyes a rest. If you follow these simple tips, you will become much more productive.